Testimonies to the military history
The former Parade Hall houses an exhibition of historic cannons, including 16th-century ceremonial bombards. The weapons collection is also a reminder that Spandau was considered Prussia’s armory since the 18th century. Not far from the citadel were workshops and later factories for the production of guns, cannons and gunpowder. During the First World War, up to 70,000 people worked here in the armaments industry, but many more after 1935, when the National Socialist government openly broke the Treaty of Versailles. In addition to the weapons, other military objects such as uniform parts and regimental flags can be seen in the exhibition.