Spandau churches under National Socialism
27.9.2019 – 9.2.2020
Between 1933 and 1945, Spandau developed into a centre of the wide-ranging conflict within the Protestant Church: between the opposition “Confessing Church” and the National Socialist “German Christians” a struggle broke out for religious sovereignty of interpretation and positioning on the regime. Students at Touro College Berlin under the direction of Prof. Dr. Stephan Lehnstaedt researched and developed an exhibition concept together with the Stadtgeschichtliches Museum Spandau. The focus is on examples of Spandau communities in which the conflict was existential and had consequences far beyond the end of the war.
The object that gave the impetus to this exhibition can now also be seen in its historical context for the first time: The “swastika bell” of the Wichern Church in Hakenfelde, rediscovered during the press hype surrounding the “Hitler Bell” in Herxheim, made headlines in December 2017, at least in Berlin. The parish council of the parish Wichern-Radeland had decided neither to hang the bell on the bell tower nor to let it disappear. A historical reappraisal and the public exhibition in the Stadtgeschichtliches Museum Spandau were the desired detachment from the contaminated object.